I am very pleased that the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) has selected the University of Chicago Medicine as one of eight institutions to participate as a Pathway Innovator in its Pursuing Excellence in Clinical Learning Environments program. The Pursuing Excellence initiative is a four-year program aimed at transforming clinical learning environments where residents and fellows pursue training in their specialties.
As one of the Pathway Innovators, we will serve as a model for our peers and take a leadership role in shaping policies that will help transform graduate medical education. Our interest in this initiative stems from our desire to transform our clinical learning environment, and also to expose our residents to a health care delivery system that functions at the highest level.
The ACGME will provide funding for four years to allow our residents and nurses to build upon quality and safety initiatives already underway here at the University of Chicago.
“One of the biggest challenges with doing this type of work is that both residents and nurses have a lot of great ideas, but they often lack time and the ability to roll up their sleeves to execute,” said Vineet Arora, MD, MAPP, Director of GME Clinical Learning Environment Innovation. “This is where the grant comes in, to help pay for support resources to catalyze that work.”
Vinny has led a very talented team, whose members are listed below, that allowed us to secure this honor. I commend her work and that of her colleagues, whose vision of integrating graduate medical education with our ongoing quality and safety initiatives has made the University of Chicago an exemplar in shaping the future of patient care:
- Jeanne Farnan, MD, MHPE, Assistant Dean of Curricular Development and Evaluation
- Kristen Hirsch, Director of GME Operations, Accreditation, and Strategy and Innovation
- Holly Humphrey, MD, Dean for Medical Education
- Michael Simon, MD, Associate Dean for Graduate Medical Education
- Debra Albert, MSN, MBA, RN, NEA-BC, Chief Nursing Officer
- Krista Curell, JD, RN, Vice President, Risk Management, Patient Safety & Compliance
- Michael Howell, MD, MPH, Chief Quality Officer
- Stephen Weber, MD, Chief Medical Officer
I look forward to further innovation to come from this initiative over the next four years.