Leaves and Retirement

It is always advisable to discuss these topics with the Office of Academic Affairs when the need arises, as the applicable policies are nuanced, subject to change and approval at higher levels, and need to be interpreted on a case-by-case basis.

Information on leave types may be found on the Office of the Provost website. Questions about leaves may be addressed to the Office of the Provost.

Leaves, Effort Reduction, and Disability

Accepting federal funds entails considerable responsibilities to the federal sponsor (e.g., NIH or NSF), including requirements related to a leave of absence from the University when the faculty member is also a Principal Investigator of a federally-funded sponsored award. If the leave of absence will last more than 90 days—or involve a reduction in effort of more than 25% on the federal award—the University must first notify and obtain prior approval from the sponsor in order to approve the leave.



Resignations and other departures from the faculty should immediately be shared with the Office of Academic Affairs.

Content of this page is presented for information purposes only, is not intended to create any contract or agreement, and is subject to addition, deletion, and change without prior notice. For definitive information regarding processes, procedures, and policies, contact the BSD Office of Academic Affairs.