The first term of appointment as Instructor is ordinarily ~2 years. You may be reappointed as Instructor without a change in rank for up to two 1-year terms (for a total of 4 years at this rank). Contact your department or section office for the exact timetable.
Summary of Criteria for Reappointment
- Sufficient quality and productivity in the performance of your clinical duties, meeting the expectations of your 'job description.'
- Sufficient quality and productivity in contributions to our educational mission and institutional citizenship, meeting the expectations of your 'job description'
- Other contributions that establish you as 'on track' for timely promotion. These typically include scholarly activity that is commensurate with your job description.
- A thorough and explicit career development plan that will suffice for promotion in due course.
- Please see the official guidelines for more information
Obviously the above are mainly judgments made by your departmental faculty colleagues, for whom your chair or chief is the spokesperson. For that reason, you should meet regularly with your chair, chief, departmental go-to person, and/or mentor(s) for insight into your progress and career advice.
There is no obligation to reappoint Pathways to Independence Instructors, even if they are making satisfactory progress.
Reappointment proposal--The department will prepare and submit a recommendation for the appointment that is reviewed by OAA for completeness, endorsed by the Dean and submitted to the Provost’s office for approval. An original recommendation should be submitted to OAA. A complete recommendation will include:
- Chair’s letter to Dean
- Section Chief's letter to Chair (if customary in the department)
- Updated CV & personal statements
- Teaching evaluations (from the last term of appointment)
- Draft letter to the instructor from the mentor with progress on goals
- On the last year reappointment, the letter should clearly state ” This will be the final year of your eligibility for appointment as a Pathways to Independence Instructor. “